Anybody who has been jailbreaking for a while is well aware of what Substrate Safe Mode is. If you don’t, then you need to know as it can save you a lot of hassle. Substrate Safe Mode allows you to continue using your jailbroken device while you troubleshoot problems that are on it, and get rid of packages that could be causing trouble. You do only need to use safe Mode when your jailbroken device crashes but it stops you from having to go through the motions of restoring your device and starting all over again.
Image : Cydia Substrate
With the latest jailbreak, PPHelper for iOS 9.2 to 9.3.3, Saurik has provided us with an updated version of Cydia Substrate [now on version 0.9.6200] . If you have used the recent jailbreak, then this update is a vital tool for you. Cydia Substrate is the backbone of every single tweak in the jailbreak store because each and every one of them relies on Substrate to install on your device and run properly. It can also help to protect your iOS device against tweaks that could be faulty.
Cydia Substrate Features :
Obviously, it will add support for the most up to date versions of the iOS, especially now that they can be jailbroken. As well as that, other changes include:
- Mitigating the storage issues that has appeared with PPHelper jailbreak – it won’t fix it altogether. If you had already used another extension to fix this problem, remove it before you update to the new version of Cydia Substrate.
- A bug fix – function hooking could cause instability problems on your device, regardless of the Substrate version you are using and this update fixes that
- Supports No Substrate Mode on the latest iOS versions. This is helpful for when your device develops any issues after a problem tweak, allowing you to remove the problem one. To get into No Substrate Mode, hold the volume up button down while you using PPHelper. Do this after rebooting your device
Updating Cydia Substrate on iOS 9.3.3 :
If you used PPHelper jailbreak, you should install this update to protect your device:
- Open Cydia on your device
- Tap Changes in bottom of the Cydia screen
- If you can’t spot the update, tap on Refresh
- Tap the Update and allow it to update to the latest version
- Reboot to allow the installation to finish
For those that have not yet installed the latest jailbreak, you can do so now, using our step by step tutorial .