The main reason why people jailbreak their iOS devices is to break free of the chains that Apple binds the iOS up in, restrictions that they put in place in the guise of keeping us more secure. Instead of being limited to what we can and can’t do, the idea behind jailbreaking is that we can modify our devices, give the stock apps more functionality, install new ones that are better and to change the way our devices look. To do all of that, we need Cydia [ext link], the jailbreak app store that comes complete with several default sources and a large number of tweaks to choose from.
Image : Deleted BigBoss Repo
Sources, otherwise called repositories, are like storage boxes; they are the places where tweaks are stored and the biggest one, by far the most popular default one is called BigBoss. This is the source that most of the more popular tweaks are housed in and is the go-to repository for beginners to jailbreaking. However, sometimes, BigBoss gets missed off when the jailbreak is installed or it might get accidentally deleted, leaving you, you might think, in a bit of a mess. Things aren’t that bad though and there are a couple of Simple ways to get BigBoss back onto your iOS device.
Method 1 : Using Cydia
Instead of panicking when BigBoss is not there, look to Cydia itself to see if you can reinstall it .
- From your iOS device home screen, open Cydia
- You will see a few options at the bottom of the Cydia main screen – choose More Package Sources
- A window will pop-up giving you a warning about the risk of installing repositories and it will give you a list of sources. Look for BigBoss – it should be at the top of the list
- If you see it, just tap on it and then follow the instructions on the screen to reinstall it.
Method 2 : Adding a Source
If BigBoss repository is not in the list, no need to worry because you can still get it back easy enough by adding in the source:
- Open Cydia
- Tap Sources from the options at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on Edit at the top right of the screen
- Tap on Add
- In the box that appears, type in this URL exactly : http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia
- Now tap on Add Source and let Cydia reinstall the source
Follow all instructions that appear on screen throughout the process and, after respringing your device, you should be in proud possession of the BigBoss repository once more.
Have you ever lost Cydia off your iPhone or iPad ? How did you get it back ? Follow us on Facebook and SignUp to our free email newsletter for more tips and tutorials like this one direct to your inbox.